HYPOLITVS Earl of Douglas.| Containing some| MEMOIRS| OF THE| Court of SCOTLAND;| WITH THE| Secret HISTORY| OF| MACK-BETH King of Scotland.| [rule]| To which is added,| The AMOURS of Count SCHLICK, Chancellor to the Emperor Sigismund, and a young Lady of Qaulity: By| Æneas Sylvius, Poet Laureat, and Sec-|retary to the same Emperor, after-|wards Pope Pious the Second.| [rule]| LONDON:| Printed for Ja. Woodward, in St. Christopher's Church-|yard in Threadneedle street, 1708.
256, 97, and 63 pp. 8°
W.H.McBurney (1960), p.15.
Aulnoy, Marie Catherine Jumelle de Berneville, comtesse d'
Comprises the following four texts:
- [Hypolitus:] d'Aulnoy, Les Avantures d'Hypolite. Comte de Duglas (1690).
- [The History of Adolphus and the Princess of Hapiness:] d'Aulnoy, La princesse Félicité [one of the fairy tales].
- [The Amours of Count Schlick from:] Aeneas Sylvius Piccolomini [later pope Pius II], Eurialus and Lucretia.
- [The Secret History of Mack-Beth: allegedly "from a very Ancient Original Manuscript - source unknown]
Editions of this combinataion:
- Hypolitus Earl of Douglas Containing some Memoirs of the Court of Scotland (London: J. Woodward, 1708). [Reprint: Hypolitus Earl of Douglas by Marie Catharine, comtesse d'Aulnoy. The Island of Content (Anonymous) [Foundations of the Novel, ed. Michael F. Shugrue] (New York/ London, 1973).]
- The Memoirs of the Court of Scotland (London: S. Briscoe/ J. Woodward/ J. Morphew, 1711).
The History of Adolphus and the Princess of Hapiness (1696) appeared also independently in d'Aulnoy fairy tales.
Cf. W. H. McBurney (1960), p.15: 35a for The Secret History of Mack-Beth and The Amours of Count Schlick (London J. Woodward).